Friday 23 November 2007

Letter from 2006 Graduate Jude Gay





Dear Colin,

You recently sent me a letter asking how, as an ex-student, I was getting on in the world of graphic design. I feel that I’m doing really well within the industry, and I have for the past year been building on my knowledge.

After graduating I had a placement at Rose Design Associates, this lasted for 4 months. During this time I started to gather an understanding of different stock, and printing processes. After my time at Rose I then went on to work at Webb & Webb, working along side Brian Webb was a brilliant experience for me, he taught me to look at a project in a more defined, detailed light. I was only supposed to be there for 3 weeks as an intern but this lasted 7 months, so I was extremely happy!

I am now working for a design & advertising agency that deals with a lot of digital media, but they have a lot of print work too. I feel that a big change is upon us in the design world and that every designer needs to be equipped and ready for technological shifts. You see print less in London now than you did 6 months ago, posters on the side of buses, once printed posters, now digital animation. In the London underground, digital posters. I love book and magazine design and would hate for print to vanish of the face of the planet, so the agency I am in now gives a good balance for both media.

Can I just say how lucky and honoured I feel to have studied at the University College for the Creative Arts. I realise now that the structure of the course is very good, and has allowed me to be extremely creative and find my own style. Thank you once again for all of your hard work in helping me to get to where I am today. You run a brilliant course. I can see UCCA as being the main creative uni in the country, (even better than London College of Communications and Central St Martins!

I have attached a small sample of work that I have produced since leaving UCCA.

Kindest regards.

Jude Gay.

No comments: